How to read the prospectus of a company?
A prospectus is a formal document that provides details about an investment offering to the public. Information on a prospectus may include:
- Background on the company and its current financial condition
- The number of shares being issued
- The type of security being issued (stock, bond, fund, etc.)
- The name of the institution underwriting the offering
- Information about dividends
The best approach is to read through the document with an eye for several crucial pieces of information. The first objective when reading a prospectus is to develop an understanding of the company's business model and goals. Once you've accomplished that, you will want to carefully consider the risk factors the prospectus lays out. Finally, most prospectuses would include information about business and financial metrics and performance, so it is important to see if the company has any potential growth in the future.